Difficult Conversations Training
Avoiding difficult issues is a common and natural part of a busy manager’s life. Difficult emotions, confrontational people and pressing priorities can push what needs to be talked about to the side.
Many people believe that raising a problem will make it worse; this belief is often based on direct personal experience. This training will help you understand why difficult conversations go wrong and what you can do to keep them on track and keep them constructive.
Managing difficult conversations effectively can make big problems smaller. Managing difficult issues with honesty, clarity and confidence can be a tremendous relief. Also available in-house as a 1 day course, tailored to your culture and current issues. IN-HOUSE ONLY for groups of 4-12 – email.
Why go on this course?
Find out how to control difficult conversations, prevent confrontations and de-escalate emotions.
Learn a structured, constructive approach to address
- Personality clashes
- Negative attitudes and behaviours
- Performance issues
- Absence issues
- Unacceptable behaviour
- Difficult negotiations
- Resistance to change
- Personal problems and sensitive issues
- Low engagement
Find solutions, alternatives and more than one way forward. Tackling difficulties successfully can strengthen employee engagement and build confidence in managers.
Who is it for?
For leaders, managers, supervisors, team leaders, HR and employee relations staff.
For anyone wanting more skill and confidence in raising issues.
This course will work through typical difficult conversations within the line management relationship. There will be the opportunity to work on a live issue using tried and tested techniques. Take time to rehearse and practice a future difficult conversation with support from experts and peers in a safe and confidential environment.
Develop confidence and resilience
- Understand the costs and risks of avoiding difficult conversations
- Identify and unlock the internal blocks to beginning a difficult conversation
- Understand the process of escalation and de-escalation in difficult conversations
- Minimise the negative perceptions that others create as a result of your assertion
- Manage strong emotions and heated conversations
- Access and manage elusive emotional and psychological factors which create resistance
- Manage other people’s reactions
- Constructively challenge negative attitudes and behaviours.
Manage Difficult Conversations
- Prepare and plan for a difficult conversation
- Follow a simple structure to manage interactions
- Use neutral talk to defuse hot topics
- De-personalise to reduce negativity and escalation
- Re-personalise to repair and rebuild
- Access and manage underlying dynamics that derail conversations
- Consolidate ideas and options to move forward
- See the direct personal and business benefits of raising difficult issues successfully.
Terms & Conditions
Must be made in full no later than 14 working days prior to the course start date. Grant or funded delegates may pay retrospectively.
The following charges will apply if you wish to transfer your booking to a later course date:
21+ working days before a course = 0% of the course fee
6-20 working days before a course = 15% of the course fee
1-5 working days before a course = 30% of the course fee
To transfer a delegate please call us on 0800 028 3866.
You can transfer a place on a course to a substitute delegate free of charge.
The following charges will apply if you wish to cancel a course:
6-20 working days before a course = 33%
1-5 working days before a course = 50%
Cancellations must be received in writing via email to email@example.com and must contain the full booking details including organisation name, booking and delegate contact details.
For full terms and conditions please see Terms and conditions page.