Difficult Conversations Training
Avoidance is most common UK conflict management style. Strong feelings, worry over confrontation and a preference for email can push what needs to be talked about to the side.
Many people believe that raising a problem will make it worse. The course will help navigate the pitfalls and traps that cause escalation. For managers who are direct and clear, we provide insights and strategies to work through resistance, blocks and obstacles. A structured approach will take the heat out the situation, strengthen the effectiveness of the conversation and preserve the value in the relationship.
Available in-house as a 1 day course, tailored to your culture and current issues. For groups of 4-12: also 3 hour or 2 day options – email.
For coaching or facilitation of difficult conversations, see here.
Why go on this course?
Find out how to structure difficult conversations, prevent confrontations and de-escalate emotions.
Learn a constructive approach to address
- Personality clashes
- Negative attitudes and behaviours
- Performance issues
- Absence issues
- Unacceptable behaviour
- Diversity and cultural issues
- Difficult negotiations
- Resistance to change
- Personal problems and sensitive issues
- Low engagement
Acquire the confidence and strategies to secure solutions and move forward. Tackling difficulties successfully can strengthen employee engagement and build confidence in managers.
Who is it for?
For leaders, managers, supervisors, team leaders, HR and employee relations staff.
For anyone wanting more skill and confidence in raising issues.
This course works through typical difficult conversations for line managers. There will be the opportunity to work on a live issue using tried and tested techniques. Take time to rehearse and practice a future difficult conversation with support from experts and peers in a safe and confidential environment.
Develop confidence and resilience
- Understand the costs and risks of avoiding difficult conversations
- Identify and unlock the internal blocks to beginning a difficult conversation
- Understand the process of escalation and de-escalation in difficult conversations
- Manage strong emotions constructively
- Access and manage elusive emotional and psychological factors which create resistance
- Manage other people’s reactions
- Constructively challenge negative attitudes and behaviours.
Manage Difficult Conversations
- Prepare and plan for a difficult conversation
- Follow a simple structure to manage interactions
- Use neutral talk to defuse hot topics
- De-personalise to reduce negativity and escalation
- Re-personalise to repair and rebuild
- Access and manage underlying dynamics that derail conversations
- Consolidate ideas and options to move forward
- See the direct personal and business benefits of raising difficult issues successfully.
Terms & Conditions
Must be made in full no later than 14 working days prior to the course start date. Grant or funded delegates may pay retrospectively.
The following charges will apply if you wish to transfer your booking to a later course date:
21+ working days before a course = 0% of the course fee
6-20 working days before a course = 15% of the course fee
1-5 working days before a course = 30% of the course fee
To transfer a delegate please call us on 0800 028 3866.
You can transfer a place on a course to a substitute delegate free of charge.
The following charges will apply if you wish to cancel a course:
6-20 working days before a course = 33%
1-5 working days before a course = 50%
Cancellations must be received in writing via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and must contain the full booking details including organisation name, booking and delegate contact details.
For full terms and conditions please see Terms and conditions page.