Mediation Skills for Managers
Mediation Skills for Managers gives managers the skills to provide a quick and positive option to resolve conflicts. Mediation provides a powerful opportunity to resolve complaints and grievances more effectively than formal procedures. Managers will be able to manage a speedy and effective process to divert staff away from escalation into formal procedure and back into co-operation and joint problem solving.
This accreditation is one of the few mediation courses listed on OfQual’s Official Register of Qualifications and recognised by the QCF (Qualifications & Credit Framework). OfQual is the independent qualifications regulator for England and Wales.
Why go on this course?
Mediation Skills for Managers gives managers the tools to root out underlying issues, reach practical solutions and repair relationships. For managers wanting a positive alternative to formal procedures, case studies will focus on
- Allegation of bullying by a member of staff against their line manager
- Angry, heated or tearful exchanges between colleagues
- Typical difficult moments in joint mediation meetings
The course offers a role, a structure and a process that can prevent, de-escalate and resolve interpersonal conflict in the workplace
- A model of mediation that repairs and rebuilds working relationships
- A set of skills, strategies and positive behaviours to deal with difficult negative conflict
- A structured, step by step process
- Techniques to engage conflicting parties, facilitate co-operation, and support people in taking responsibility for their own solutions
Mediation certification accredited with the Open College Network.
On word of mouth recommendation we have retrained delegates and organisations who have been previously trained by several of the UK’s leading specialist workplace mediation providers. This is a significant achievement given the level of satisfaction with their previous training provider.
For details of our in-house mediation training rates see – here.
Who is it for?
For anyone with responsibility for resolving issues at the earliest stage; team leaders, supervisors, line managers, reporting officers, HR managers, Union reps, harassment contact officers, equality & diversity advisors, complaints officers, contracts managers, customer experience staff and customer relations managers.
The first two days of this course are the same as the 2 day Core Mediation Skills course. Mediation Skills for Managers provides an additional third day to deal with difficult moments in the mediation meeting: anger, tears, silence, impasses and threats of formal action. The course aims to help managers and HR staff de-escalate and resolve conflict at the earliest stage minimising damage and costs.
The course is highly experiential and interactive with high levels of trainer demonstration, coaching and skills practice. The course offers insightful theory which will help you understand the psychology of conflict and help you to respond positively in complex and challenging conflicts. The course offers practical skills and techniques to help people reach resolution.
- Understand the principles and theory of mediation
- Understand the psychology of conflict
- Create a safe environment within the mediation process
- Build rapport and trust with people in conflict
- Engage resistant people in a constructive process
- Maintain an impartial role
- Manage and structure the mediation process
- Facilitate co-operation and joint problem-solving
- Constructively manage difficult, conflict behaviours and strong emotions with appropriate control
- Assist people in conflict to achieve win-win outcomes
- Know when to mediate and when not to.
Comprehensive course materials include
- scripts for key mediator inputs
- question lists
- mediation process maps and checklists
- typical conflict challenges and model responses
- post course study pack
- full course assessment criteria.
Terms & Conditions
Must be made in full no later than 14 working days prior to the course start date. Grant or funded delegates may pay retrospectively.
The following charges will apply if you wish to transfer your booking to a later course date:
21+ working days before a course = 0% of the course fee
6-20 working days before a course = 15% of the course fee
1-5 working days before a course = 30% of the course fee
To transfer a delegate please call us on 0800 028 3866.
You can transfer a place on a course to a substitute delegate free of charge.
The following charges will apply if you wish to cancel a course:
6-20 working days before a course = 33%
1-5 working days before a course = 50%
Cancellations must be received in writing via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and must contain the full booking details including organisation name, booking and delegate contact details.
For full terms and conditions please see Terms and conditions page.