National Certificate in Mediation Skills (6 day)
This course gives the positive behaviours, skills and confidence to prevent, resolve and transform disputes and conflicts. The course is for internal mediation teams or individuals wanting to work as a professional mediator. We provide a unique relational model and a values based approach to relationships in conflict, giving powerful strategies and the psychological keys to unlock conflict. The course is an insightful and challenging journey transforming experienced problem solvers into confident, competent mediators, giving a leading edge in successful employee relations. The course includes 12 months case support and service development advice.
This accreditation is one of the few mediation courses listed on OfQual’s Official Register of Qualifications and recognised by the QCF (Qualifications & Credit Framework). OfQual is the independent qualifications regulator for England and Wales.
Why go on this course?
The Certificate in Mediation Skills offers a role, a structure and a process that can prevent, de-escalate and resolve interpersonal conflict in the workplace.
- A model of mediation that repairs and rebuilds working relationships
- A set of skills, strategies and positive behaviours to deal with difficult negative conflict
- A structured, step by step process
- Techniques to engage conflicting parties, facilitate co-operation, and support people in taking responsibility for their own solutions
The mediation certification is accredited with the Open College Network at level 3, offering 3 units and 9 credits.
On word of mouth recommendation we have retrained delegates and organisations who have been previously trained by several of the UK’s leading specialist workplace mediation providers. This is a significant achievement given the level of satisfaction with their previous training provider.
Participants on our certificate courses qualify for post-course career development advice and consultancy free of charge.
For details of our in-house mediation training rates see – here.
Who is it for?
The course is suitable for internal mediation teams or individuals wanting to excel in mediation.
The course is a valuable investment for those wanting to change the culture on employee relations, including senior managers, HR professionals, employee relations managers, senior workforce & people managers, trade union representatives and change consultants.
The course can strengthen prevention and reduce escalation for front line managers, harassment & bullying contact officers, welfare officers, equality and diversity officers, EAP staff, and employment lawyers.
The course can also add value to the impact of internal coaches, external HR consultants, complaints managers, supply chain managers and contracts officers.
The course is highly relevant for anyone who deals with conflict on a daily basis and who wants more from difficult negotiations, complex communications and critical relationships.
The course is highly experiential and interactive with high levels of trainer demonstration, coaching and skills practice. The course offers insightful theory which will help you understand the psychology of conflict and help you to respond positively in complex and challenging conflicts. The course offers practical skills and techniques to help people reach resolution.
- Understand the principles and theory of mediation
- Understand the psychology of conflict escalation and conflict resolution
- Create a safe environment within the mediation process
- Build rapport and trust with people in conflict
- Engage resistant people in a constructive process
- Maintain an impartial role
- Manage and structure the mediation process
- Facilitate co-operation and joint problem-solving
- Demonstrate anti-discriminatory practice
- Constructively manage difficult, conflict behaviours and strong emotions with appropriate control
- Strengthen sustainable resolution by addressing underlying psychological factors
- Assist people in conflict to achieve win-win outcomes
- Know when to mediate and when not to
- Understand your own development and support needs as a mediator.
Comprehensive course materials include
- Scripts for key mediator inputs
- Question lists
- Mediation process maps and checklists
- Typical conflict challenges and model responses
- Ethical framework
- Post course study pack
- Full course assessment criteria.
The course is delivered over two runs of three days (Tue-Thu) with a week in between for reflection and practice.
For mediation courses on complaints resolution, homelessness, ASB neighbour & community conflict, student relationships and restorative justice see the section on – Community Relationships.
Terms & Conditions
Must be made in full no later than 14 working days prior to the course start date. Grant or funded delegates may pay retrospectively.
The following charges will apply if you wish to transfer your booking to a later course date:
21+ working days before a course = 0% of the course fee
6-20 working days before a course = 15% of the course fee
1-5 working days before a course = 30% of the course fee
To transfer a delegate please call us on 0800 028 3866.
You can transfer a place on a course to a substitute delegate free of charge.
The following charges will apply if you wish to cancel a course:
6-20 working days before a course = 33%
1-5 working days before a course = 50%
Cancellations must be received in writing via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and must contain the full booking details including organisation name, booking and delegate contact details.
For full terms and conditions please see Terms and conditions page.